Dr. Cardenas provides personalized menopause management
Women don’t have to suffer during perimenopause and menopause. Dr. Cardenas offers compassionate menopause management that provides the symptom relief women need. During perimenopause, the level of estrogen decreases until menopause occurs, causing the ovaries to stop making the hormone entirely. Hormonal changes can cause several uncomfortable symptoms, including hot flashes, insomnia, mood changes and vaginal dryness. However, our San Antonio GYN offers treatments that can provide relief.
Menopause management begins during perimenopause
Perimenopause is the period leading up to menopause, and it can last for months or years. During this phase in women’s lives, they begin to experience symptoms that require menopause management. Every woman has a different experience, so Dr. Cardenas provides personalized service that addresses each person’s needs.
During perimenopause, most women have irregular and skipped periods. They may also experience one or more of the following symptoms, which also occur during menopause.
- Hot flashes
- Night sweats
- Insomnia and sleep problems
- Mood changes
- Vaginal dryness
- Low libido
- Slower metabolism and weight gain
The decrease in estrogen can also lead to an increased risk for heart attacks, strokes and osteoporosis.
Lifestyle remedies help with the symptoms
Our San Antonio GYN offers treatments to help women during this change. There are also menopause management techniques that women can perform on their own.
- Hot flashes. Identifying triggers for hot flashes is helpful. Coffee and hot beverages, spicy foods, stress, alcohol and hot weather are all possibilities. Layering clothing also helps, while wicking pajamas and sheets can provide relief from night sweats.
- Vaginal dryness. The decrease in or lack of estrogen leads to vaginal dryness and less elastic tissues. The condition of the vagina can cause sexual pain and burning. Water-based vaginal lubricants help with the dryness and relieve pain for some women.
- Sleep problems. Avoid caffeine and alcohol, especially in the late afternoon and evening. Exercise also helps women get a better night’s sleep.
- Mood changes. Women who experience anxiety and mood changes can benefit from meditation and relaxation techniques. However, some patients may require medications to manage issues like depression and anxiety.
Dr. Cardenas provides natural hormone replacement therapy
Hormone replacement therapy offers relief from perimenopause and menopause symptoms. Our San Antonio GYN offers hormone replacement therapy. Bioidentical hormones are similar to the hormones women’s bodies produce, providing natural replacements for estrogen and progesterone. Call us schedule an appointment to learn more.